England Euro 2016 fans clash with police in Marseille
- Narendra Modi to inaugurate fourth container terminal of JNPT tomorrow
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau begins week-long India visit
- PMO working on resolving PNB fraud, will try to extradite Nirav Modi: MoS finance
- Tibet’s most sacred Buddhist temple catches fire
- PM Modi should explain why PNB scam happened: Rahul Gandhi
Marseille: Around 250 England supporters pelted police with drink cans outside a bar in the southern French city of Marseille late on Thursday ahead of the country’s opening Euro 2016 match, a police source said.
A 24-year-old Englishman was arrested and spent the night in custody after the trouble in the Vieux-Port area of the Mediterranean city.
Police used tear gas to disperse the England fans.
England fans also clashed with a group of young Frenchmen, with one Englishman needing hospital treatment for a minor injury.
A 30-year-old Frenchman was also arrested after stealing an England football shirt.
England face Russia in Marseille on Saturday in their opening match of the European Championships, which kick off in Paris on Friday when France play Romania.
French and British authorities are determined to avoid a repeat of the scenes in Marseille during the 1998 World Cup when English hooligans clashed with Tunisia supporters.