Finance ministry ratifies 8.65% EPF interest rate, says Bandaru Dattatreya
The finance ministry’s ratification of the 8.65% interest rate on EPF will enable EPFO to credit this rate of return into the accounts of four crore subscribers
Latest News »
- Liberty House to buy Amtek Auto’s UK assets
- Narendra Modi to inaugurate fifth global conference on cyber space in New Delhi
- Farmers shift away from arhar, soybean towards cotton
- Sean Spicer resigns as White House press secretary
- Govt launches pension scheme with 8% guaranteed returns for senior citizens
New Delhi: Labour minister Bandaru Dattatreya on Thursday said that the finance ministry has approved 8.65% interest rate on the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) for 2016-17.
The ratification of the 8.65% on EPF will enable the retirement fund body Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) to credit this rate of return into the accounts of four crore subscribers.
“Finance ministry has agreed to 8.65% rate of interest. Now, the communication will come. The formal discussions are over,” the minister said.
He added, “We will immediately issue the notification and credit the rate of interest to over four crore subscribers.”
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation trustees had approved 8.65% rate on EPF in December last year.
The Finance Ministry has been nudging the labour ministry to lower the EPF rate for aligning it with the rates of small savings schemes like Public Provident Fund (PPF).