Bangalore: A court began the trial of three people charged over last year’s terrorist attacks in Mumbai, which killed 164 people, as the lone surviving gunman told the court that he’s a Pakistani national.
Mohammed Ajmal Kasab spoke before the court on Monday via a video-link from his cell in a Mumbai jail and said he would accept a lawyer appointed by the government to defend him, public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said in a telephone interview from Mumbai.
Two alleged accomplices, Sabahuddin Mohammad and Fahim Ansari, who face at least a dozen charges, also appeared via video link. The next hearing will be held on 30 March to examine the appointment of a lawyer.
The government has charged 47 people, including 45 Pakistani nationals, with planning and executing the 26-29 November attack.