Pak not serious in punishing Mumbai attackers: Krishna

Pak not serious in punishing Mumbai attackers: Krishna
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Sat, Sep 05 2009. 01 35 PM IST
Updated: Sat, Sep 05 2009. 01 35 PM IST
Bangalore: Accusing Pakistan of not being serious in punishing perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks, external affairs minister S. M. Krishna on Saturday said India has provided enough evidence for their prosecution.
He also made it clear that Pakistan was to be blamed for the suspension of the composite dialogue after the 26/11 terror strikes and said it has to take the initiative for the resumption of the process.
“According to legal experts, the six dossiers which we have provided to Pakistan contain enough evidence against the conspirators, abettors and perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks to get them punished in a court of law,” he told reporters here.
“If Pakistan were to be serious about taking the logical steps to punish those responsible for the attack on India or Mumbai, this is an instance that they can show to the world and India that they are serious,” he said.
The Minister said India has given to Pakistan the names and other details of those involved in the strikes in Mumbai.
“It is but natural that they should arrest all those and bring them to justice,” he said. Krishna said New Delhi will keep engaging Pakistan on the “logical follow up” that should be taken. “We expect that it will be done,” he said.
Asked about Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi’s remarks that India is not coming forward for resumption of talks, Krishna said, “India was happily conituning with its composite dialogue till the Mumbai attacks which abruptly ended, temporarily, the composite dialogue.
“So, I think Pakistan has to blame itself for the suspension of the composite dialogue and again it has to be Pakistan’s initiative now to satisfy India’s requirement for the resumption of composite dialogue,” he said.
The Minister said India is fully aware that Pakistan is the “epicentre of terror in this region”. This, he said, has been brought to the notice of Pakistan as well as friendly countries.
On a question about incursion by a Chinese helicopter in Leh sector recently, Krishna sought to downplay the incident saying there was an in-built mechanism to deal with such issues.
“Whenever they take place this mechanism comes into operation and things are settled,” he said.
Asked about the recent incident of a farmer couple from Karnataka who were bundled back by French officials at the Paris airport while they were on way to meet their son in Finland, Krishna said the French government had regretted the incident.
The French authorities have promised to hold an inquiry and provide its report to India within a week.
59-year-old K. N. Ashok Kumar, a farmer, and his wife Meenakshamma (46) from Hassan district in Karnataka were in transit in Paris and headed for Finland to meet their son K. A. Darpam Gowda when they were stopped by French officials for not carrying the invitation letter sent by their son.
The Minister said those who travel outside the country should carry documents of invitations. In this case, he said, the letter of invitation was handed over to the visa issuing authority in Chennai but the couple had not carried a copy with them.
On the attacks on Indian students in Australia, Krishna said that there was a “qualitative change” in the situation and there were no incidents of attacks on students since his visit last month.
“This is a positive development,” he said commending the Australian authorities in tackling the problem. “I am glad that they have kept their promise. From the Indian students’ perspective, it is quiet and normal there,” he said.
He said he will raise the issue of handing over of Bodo outfit NDFB’s chief Ranjan Daimary during his meeting with visiting Bangladesh foreign minister Dipu Moni on Monday.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Sat, Sep 05 2009. 01 35 PM IST