Donald Trump pledges to take $1 as annual salary with no vacations
- Govt proposes special courts to fast track criminal cases against politicians
- Siddaramaiah to begin 1-month Karnataka tour today with eye on 2018 assembly elections
- Crack found in bullet train in first ‘serious incident’ for Japan
- US has elevated its relationship with India, says Rex Tillerson
- Democrat Doug Jones wins Alabama Senate elections in stunning upset for Republicans
Washington: US president-elect Donald Trump has said he would take $1 as his salary a year and not the $400,000 that comes with the US president’s job and will refrain from going on any vacation.
Asked whether he was going to take the president’s salary, 70-year-old Trump said, “No, I’m not gonna take the salary. I’m not taking it,” confirming a promise he made in a campaign video in September.
“I think I have to by law take $1, so I’ll take $1 a year. But I don’t even know what it is,” Trump told CBS’s 60 Minute in an interview aired on Sunday. Trump said he did not know what the salary of a US President is and also said he would not take any vacation.
“We have so much work. There’s so much work to be done. And I want to get it done for the people,” he said. “I want to get it done. We’re lowering taxes, we’re taking care of health care. I mean, there’s just so much to be done. So I don’t think we’ll be very big on vacations, no,” Trump said, ruling out a vacation for himself.
Trump defeated his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in Tuesday’s presidential vote, in a result which shocked many who had expected her to win following favourable opinion polls. PTI