Donald Trump pledges to take $1 as annual salary with no vacations
Latest News »
- Premier League clubs smash own transfer spending record with £1.184 billion outlay
- Who after Rangana Herath?
- Supreme Court rejects Sasikala’s plea to review verdict in DA case
- BJP urges RJD to postpone Patna rally due to floods in Bihar, Lalu says ‘no’
- Delhi court to hear Satyender Jain’s pleas against Kapil Mishra on 11 September
Washington: US president-elect Donald Trump has said he would take $1 as his salary a year and not the $400,000 that comes with the US president’s job and will refrain from going on any vacation.
Asked whether he was going to take the president’s salary, 70-year-old Trump said, “No, I’m not gonna take the salary. I’m not taking it,” confirming a promise he made in a campaign video in September.
“I think I have to by law take $1, so I’ll take $1 a year. But I don’t even know what it is,” Trump told CBS’s 60 Minute in an interview aired on Sunday. Trump said he did not know what the salary of a US President is and also said he would not take any vacation.
“We have so much work. There’s so much work to be done. And I want to get it done for the people,” he said. “I want to get it done. We’re lowering taxes, we’re taking care of health care. I mean, there’s just so much to be done. So I don’t think we’ll be very big on vacations, no,” Trump said, ruling out a vacation for himself.
Trump defeated his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in Tuesday’s presidential vote, in a result which shocked many who had expected her to win following favourable opinion polls. PTI