New Pakistan PM Shahid Khaqan Abbasi forms cabinet, Dar back as finance minister
Islamabad: Pakistan’s new Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has finalised his cabinet after a reshuffle, local media and a senior government source said on Friday, with Ishaq Dar returning as finance minister.
The cabinet, which was dissolved when Nawaz Sharif was ousted last Friday, contains most of the staunch allies of the toppled leader, English-language The News and Dawn newspapers reported. A senior government official confirmed the names to Reuters.
Asif Khawaja, who was in charge of the defence as well as water and power ministries, has been appointed foreign minister, while Ahsan Iqbal, previously in charge of the planning commission, will take on the interior ministry portfolio.
Abbasi, former petroleum minister, has opted to keep a ministry portfolio and will head a new ministry that will see a merger of the energy and petroleum ministries.
Latest News »
- Facebook makes it simple to see if friends are safe
- India welcomes US President Donald Trump’s resolve to fight terrorists
- Profiteering watchdog to be ready in a fortnight, says CBEC chief
- Narayana Murthy’s battle is for the soul of Infosys
- North Korea says US faces ‘merciless revenge’ over military drills