New Delhi: The remainder of England team’s cricket tour of India involving two ODIs and two Test matches is being called off in the wake of Mumbai terror attacks, according t a top BCCI official.
The official, who requested anonimity pending a formal announcement, said that the England team has expressed reservation about continuing the tour and have conveyed their decision to the BCCI.
BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan had discussions with top officials of the England team in Bhubaneswar to dicuss the tour following the terror attack in Mumbai.
“Since the England team has strong reservations of continuing with the tour, we have asked them to give it to us in writing. A formal announcement will be made in a few hours”, the official said.
The England team officials are understood to have asked the BCCI to abandon the one-day series and the subsequent two-match Test series and allow them to return home.
The meeting was attended by captain Kevin Pietersen, coach Peter Moores, manager Reg Dickaso and manager Andrew Walpole.
Sources said that BCCI was ready to call off the tour but wants England to visit India a few weeks later for the two-match Test series.
The England team management has conveyed the BCCI proposal to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) top brass who will discuss the proposal and get back to the Indian Board.
England have so far played five one-dayers and have lost all the matches to trail the seven-match series 0-5. They were also scheduled to play two Tests in Ahmedabad (11-15 Dec) and Mumbai (10-23 Dec), where at least 100 people have been killed in terror attacks since last night.
The sources said that the upcoming Champions League, to be held in three different venues of the country from December 3 to 10, is also likely to be cancelled with many of the top overseas players reluctant to tour India.