Resolution of bad loans problem primary focus of government, says official
- Narendra Modi to inaugurate fourth container terminal of JNPT tomorrow
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau begins week-long India visit
- PMO working on resolving PNB fraud, will try to extradite Nirav Modi: MoS finance
- Tibet’s most sacred Buddhist temple catches fire
- PM Modi should explain why PNB scam happened: Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: A resolution of Indian banks’ bad loans is the “first and primary focus” of the government, a senior finance ministry official said on Wednesday.
Sanjeev Sanyal, principal economic advisor at the ministry, told television channel CNBC-TV18 that state-run banks would be consolidated primarily on commercial considerations.
Sanyal’s comments came a day after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revealed that it had identified 12 of the largest loan defaulters and would order lenders to start bankruptcy proceedings against them to start unclogging the $150 billion in bad debt plaguing Asia’s third-largest economy. Reuters