Resolution of bad loans problem primary focus of government, says official
Latest News »
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan will lead BJP in Madhya Pradesh polls: Amit Shah
- Sharad Yadav free to decide own course: Nitish Kumar
- West Bengal flood situation improves, death toll reaches 55
- Narendra Modi expresses anguish over Utkal Express derailment
- GST Council extends July payment and return filing deadline to 25 August
New Delhi: A resolution of Indian banks’ bad loans is the “first and primary focus” of the government, a senior finance ministry official said on Wednesday.
Sanjeev Sanyal, principal economic advisor at the ministry, told television channel CNBC-TV18 that state-run banks would be consolidated primarily on commercial considerations.
Sanyal’s comments came a day after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revealed that it had identified 12 of the largest loan defaulters and would order lenders to start bankruptcy proceedings against them to start unclogging the $150 billion in bad debt plaguing Asia’s third-largest economy. Reuters