Resolution of bad loans problem primary focus of government, says official
- Honda overtakes Bajaj to seal No. 2 spot in domestic bike sales
- Govt flags SC collegium decision to end performance evaluation of additional judges
- Emaar India plans to raise Rs500 crore by March 2018
- GST rate structure needs complete overhauling: Hasmukh Adhia
- Banking sector stares at additional Rs40,000 crore NPAs
New Delhi: A resolution of Indian banks’ bad loans is the “first and primary focus” of the government, a senior finance ministry official said on Wednesday.
Sanjeev Sanyal, principal economic advisor at the ministry, told television channel CNBC-TV18 that state-run banks would be consolidated primarily on commercial considerations.
Sanyal’s comments came a day after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revealed that it had identified 12 of the largest loan defaulters and would order lenders to start bankruptcy proceedings against them to start unclogging the $150 billion in bad debt plaguing Asia’s third-largest economy. Reuters