Mumbai:Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the sole surviving gunman from November’s terrorist attacks in Mumbai, on Friday sought to retract his confession of involvement in the assault, saying it was obtained under duress.
“This was extracted under coercion and force and was not voluntary,” Kasab’s lawyer Abbas Kazmi told the court in Mumbai that’s trying him. “He was being physically tortured during custody and the signature was obtained by force.”
The court had earlier on Friday rejected a plea by Kazmi that Kasab was a juvenile, to prevent proceedings from being stalled.
“The plea seems to be to delay the trial,” judge M.L. Tahaliyani said.
Kazmi told the judge that his client had been underage when the attack took place. The prosecution countered that Kasab said in his confession that his date of birth was 13 September 1987, making him 21 years of age.