Rex Tillerson in focus as Exxon Mobil investigation intensifies
New York: New York’s attorney general considers US secretary of state Rex Tillerson a central figure in his expanding investigation into whether ExxonMobil misled investors about the impact of climate change.
It’s unclear if attorney general Eric Schneiderman will ultimately choose to force Tillerson to answer questions under oath. But Schnedierman tells The Associated Press that he has the legal authority to depose the nation’s chief diplomat, who served as Exxon’s CEO until joining the Donald Trump administration.
The politically charged case pits the ambitious New York Democrat against a Texas energy giant and has divided attorneys general across the nation.
Republican state prosecutors from South Carolina to Utah, like Exxon’s legal team, accuse the New York attorney general of abusing the power of his office to score political points with his liberal supporters.
- Gold prices slump by Rs100 on demand dent
- India ships 620 tonnes of food today for Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- BHU protests: Committee headed by UP chief secretary to probe violence
- Post Nandyal bypolls, TDP and YSRCP continue campaigning, set tone for 2019 elections
- Amit Shah slams Rahul Gandhi for defending dynastic politics