China silent over Pakistan’s plan on Gilgit-Baltistan
Latest News »
- Floods kill 69 people in Uttar Pradesh, over 20 lakh hit in 24 districts
- Govt extends BHIM cash back scheme for merchants till March
- Post note ban, separatists, Maoists feel ‘fund-starved’: Arun Jaitley
- McDonald’s likely to challenge NCLT order on Vikram Bakshi
- Kalinga-Utkal Express: Initial probe shows tracks maintenance work may have caused derailment
Beijing: China on Friday skirted a direct response to Pakistan’s plan to declare the Gilgit-Baltistan region as its fifth province and said the Kashmir issue should be resolved between India and Pakistan through dialogue.
When asked about Pakistan’s plan, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying reiterated China’s position on the Kashmir issue.
“The essence of your question is about the issue of Kashmir. China’s position on the issue is consistent and clear,” she told reporters.
“We believe that it is an issue left over from the history between India and Pakistan and it should be resolved between the two sides through dialogue and consultation through proper manner,” she said.
About the $46 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) which goes through Gilgit-Baltistan region over which India has protested to Beijing, Hua said, “the CPEC will not affect China’s position on the relevant (Kashmir) issue”. PTI