India seeks credible action against Mumbai attackers

India seeks credible action against Mumbai attackers
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Tue, Sep 29 2009. 01 15 AM IST

Tangible results: External affairs minister S.M. Krishna. PTI
Tangible results: External affairs minister S.M. Krishna. PTI
Updated: Tue, Sep 29 2009. 10 22 AM IST
New York: Rejecting Pakistan’s demand for going beyond the issue of terror, external affairs minister S.M. Krishna said the least India expected from that country was “tangible results” in the 26 November Mumbai attacks probe that would help build a conducive atmosphere for purposeful talks.
Tangible results: External affairs minister S.M. Krishna. PTI
The minister said India has not set a “benchmark” for Pakistan, but expected it to deliver tangible results in the investigations and prosecutions. “We have suggested to the government of Pakistan that the perpetrators of that attack on Mumbai must be brought to justice within the framework of the Pakistan law,” Krishna said.
“That is the least that we expect from them,” said the minister who had a two-hour long meeting here on Sunday with his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi, during which he focussed on the terror issue.
Krishna said that further talks between the two countries would depend on concrete action taken by Islamabad on the Mumbai attacks.
Qureshi had earlier said the two countries could not confine discussions to only terror or Mumbai without touching on other outstanding issues that form the composite dialogue between the two nations.
“You need an atmosphere for talks to to be purposeful,” Krishna said on being asked whether the dialogue process would restart only when India saw credible action being taken by Pakistan against perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks. “Well, that has always been India’s position and I think very rightly so. I think that is a sensible approach”, he said.
India blames Pakistan for not speeding up the probe against alleged perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks despite being provided with six dossiers by New Delhi. It is also disappointed that Hafiz Saeed, mastermind of the attacks, has not yet been prosecuted.
Krishna said he had not asked for any assurance from Pakistan on Saeed nor was any assurance given to him. “We have said that on the basis of the dossier that we have provided to the government of Pakistan, they should conduct investigations. A conspiracy has been hatched on the soil of Pakistan. Naturally, the government of Pakistan will have to do the investigations,” he said.
Qureshi told journalists that Pakistan had arrested seven people in connection with the Mumbai carnage and their prosecutions would begin on 3 October.
feedback@livemint.com
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Tue, Sep 29 2009. 01 15 AM IST