Nadiad: Union telecom minister Kapil Sibal on Tuesday indicated that the government could proceed further with a follow-on auction of spectrum.
“As far as spectrum is concerned if there is additional spectrum, off course there would be a basis on which we shall move forward,” Sibal told reporters.
“Whenever we get additional spectrum we shall proceed ahead,” he said, while replying to a query that could follow-up auction of 3G spectrum take place.
However, he did not clarify that whether government was looking at sale of additional 2G or 3G spectrum.
Reports say that finance ministry in a letter written to the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) has asked it to explore and identify, surplus spectrum which can be put to auction in 2011-12.
The ministry is of the view that some part of 3G spectrum is still available for follow-on auction, the reports said.
Replying to a query on this letter Sibal said, “I have also read it in newspapers today as you have.”
Auction of 3G and broadband wireless spectrum had fetched the government a whopping Rs1.06 lakh crore last year. The Centre is keen on providing broadband connectivity to the rural India in next couple of years.
“The fact of the matter is yes we should ensure that broadband reaches every village of this country, that we are wanting to do,” Sibal said.