Pramila Jayapal is 1st Indian-American woman to be elected to US House
- Long live India Post Payments Bank
- The juggernaut of new generations of telecom–5G
- Will have to borrow to meet debt waiver costs: Devendra Fadnavis
- Narendra Modi to hard-sell India as engine of global economic growth at Davos
- We’re looking for tax relief for hybrids, electric vehicles in budget: Kenji Hiramatsu
New York: Pramila Jayapal on Wednesday became the first Indian-American woman to be elected to the US House of Representatives, winning the Washington State Senate seat.
The 51-year-old Jayapal got 57% of the votes from Washington State, leaving behind her rival Brady Walkinshaw who secured 43% votes.
India-born Jayapal made a mark with her progressive agenda in the Washington State Senate.
Endorsed by Senator Bernie Sanders, the former Democratic presidential aspirant, Jayapal is running from the seventh Congressional District of Washington State that encompasses Seattle and its neighbourhood. PTI