Pramila Jayapal is 1st Indian-American woman to be elected to US House
- Farm loan waiver: Maharashtra detects 1.5 million suspicious bank accounts
- BJP has successfully covered 75% of polling booths in 3 years: Amit Shah
- OPG Securities approaches SAT against NSE’s suspension notice
- RBI revises investment, trading rules for banks
- India needs robust cold chain supply system to increase farmers’ income, say experts
New York: Pramila Jayapal on Wednesday became the first Indian-American woman to be elected to the US House of Representatives, winning the Washington State Senate seat.
The 51-year-old Jayapal got 57% of the votes from Washington State, leaving behind her rival Brady Walkinshaw who secured 43% votes.
India-born Jayapal made a mark with her progressive agenda in the Washington State Senate.
Endorsed by Senator Bernie Sanders, the former Democratic presidential aspirant, Jayapal is running from the seventh Congressional District of Washington State that encompasses Seattle and its neighbourhood. PTI