New Delhi: Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi, an accused in the Bofors payoffs case, has been taken off the Central Bureau of Investigation list of wanted people, sparking a protest by Opposition parties which on Tuesday demanded an immediate probe into the working of the agency in the last five years.
Following a communication from the CBI, the Interpol has taken Quattrocchi’s name off the Red Corner notice list in which it lingered for the last one decade.
Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani said,“This is a very serious issue. It is not a question of Quattrocchi alone but the entire role of the agency during the last five years which should be probed”.
Putting up a brave defence, the government said it had no role to play in the move by the agency which took the decision on the basis of a legal opinion given by Attorney General Milon Banerjee in October last year.
CBI spokesman Harsh Bahal said,“The case has been under trial in the courts since 1999. CBI has taken action on the basis of legal advice of the highest order. We will inform the competent court on the next date of hearing (30 April, 2009).”