Prince Philip retires after decades of memorable gaffes
- Nirmala Sitharaman to attend Southeast Asian defence ministers’ meet in Philippines
- Steve Bannon brings message of Republican revolt to California
- Angela Merkel makes euro policy a priority as Germany seeks government
- Pakistan Foreign Office confirms envoy met Sushma Swaraj
- Goa Forward Party not to contest 2019 Lok Sabha polls
London: At the age of 96, Britain’s Prince Philip is retiring from solo official duties. Over the decades he has become renowned for his stalwart support of his wife, Queen Elizabeth II — and his blunt and sometimes offensive remarks. Here are a few of his memorable quotes:
“What do you gargle with, pebbles?” — to singer Tom Jones.
“I declare this thing open, whatever it is” — on a visit to Canada.
“Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease” — when asked to stroke a koala in Australia.
“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?” — to a Scottish driving instructor.
“It’s a vast waste of space” — at a reception for the opening of the new British Embassy in Berlin.
“Do you have a pair of knickers made out of this?”— pointing to a tartan and addressing Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie at a papal reception in Edinburgh.