New Delhi:Former telecom minister A. Raja was on Tuesday remanded to two more days of CBI custody by a court for further interrogation after the agency submitted that he was not divulging any “useful information” regarding his role in the 2G scam.
Special judge O P Saini, however, sent former telecom secretary Siddartha Behura and Raja’s former personal secretary R K Chandolia to Tihar Jail under judicial custody as the federal agency said it no longer needs them in its custody.
Raja will remain in CBI custody till 10 February.
The trio, arrested by the agency on 2 February for their alleged role in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, involving a loss of Rs 22,000 crore to the public exchequer as per the CVC estimates, were produced before the special judge following the expiry of their five-day custody with the CBI.
The CBI has sought four more days of custody to interrogate Raja saying that he was “not divulging any useful and crucial information” about his role in 2G spectrum scam.
“Some more documents are to be recovered and accused A. Raja is to be confronted with them,” senior CBI prosecutor Akhilesh submitted.
Refuting allegations by Raja’s counsel Ramesh Gupta that the agency had not disclosed to the court the outcome of the probe conducted so far in this case, Akhilesh said, “The case diary has already been submitted to the court. Each and everything cannot be disclosed in the open courtroom.”
Opposing CBI’s demand for four more days of Raja’s custody, Gupta said, “I am not having the custody of any document, which the CBI wants to recover from me.”
“Whatever documents were there, they have already been seized by them in 2009 itself,” he added.
The CBI counsel said the agency no longer needed the custody of Behura and Chandolia. “The two can be sent to Tihar Jail under judicial custody,” he said.