Arun Jaitley files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls from Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Union finance minister Arun Jaitley on Monday filed his nomination papers for the Rajya Sabha election from Uttar Pradesh.
Jaitley filed his nomination papers at the Tandon Hall of the Uttar Pradesh assembly complex in the presence of UP Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Mahendra Nath Pandey, deputy chief ministers Keshav Prasad Maurya and Dinesh Sharma, UP cabinet ministers Shrikanth Sharma and Anupama Jaiswal, and party leader Hero Bajpai.
Apart from Jaitley, the other Rajya Sabha candidates announced by the BJP from Uttar Pradesh are Ashok Bajpai, Vijay Pal Singh Tomar, Sakal Deep Rajbhar, Kanta Kardam, Anil Jain, Harnath Singh Yadav and G.V.L. Narasimha Rao.
UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath was not present during Jaitley’s nomination as he was in Varanasi and Mirzapur for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit. Monday is the last day for filing of nomination for the Rajya Sabha election. Voting, if needed, will be held on 23 March.
Later speaking to reporters, UP deputy chief minister Dinesh Sharma said, “If you see our list of Rajya Sabha candidates, all the regions have got representation on the basis of merit. This is the speciality of the BJP.”
- Tech giants set to face 3% tax on revenue under new European Union plan
- Nirmala Sitharaman says no repeat of Doklam crisis
- Govt plans regulatory framework for social media, online content: Smriti Irani
- Amit Shah takes stock of Andhra Pradesh situation with state leaders
- Facebook suspends Donald Trump election data firm for policy breach