New Delhi: The ministry of home affairs appears to have blinked over a ban on imports of telecom equipment from China as it’s set to begin talks with vendors to find a “compromise solution”.
“Home secretary G.K. Pillai is meeting representatives of Chinese telecom equipment vendors to hear their side of the story Wednesday,” a home ministry official said.
Chinese Ambassador to India Zhang Yan will also try to resolve the issue politically in a separate meeting with Pillai. “Yan has been given time later this week,” the official added.
The official said European firms have also been banned previously because of security concerns.
Earlier in the day, Pillai said: “India and China trade is about $38 billion (Rs1.71 trillion) and the balance of trade is about $28 billion, but there cannot be any discrimination with China. As regards national security, our policy is to ensure security of the country.”
“This is the first of many meetings we have asked for,” a senior Huawei Telecommunication India executive said on condition of anonymity.
On 1 March, the government stopped giving approval to telecom equipment imports from China.