New Delhi: Healthcare services in Chandigarh get a shot in the arm, with the Megacity project moving from the conceptual blue print stage towards implementation, with the formal invitation of expression of interest being issued on 7 September.
Spread over 45 acres, the Medicity would see a long-term lease agreement awarded to one selected party or a consortium of investors, which will be governed by a MoU, incorporating essential features in line with the vision statement and ethos of the city.
Modelled around a Public-Private Partnership model, it would have a modern healthcare facility with a superspeciality hospital. Users would be local residents and/or visiting NRIs which is why medical tourism, wellness therapies and holistic health will be its key features. However, surplus generated from it will go into running the various charity components of the Medicity.
Scope of Megacity Project
* Superspeciality hospital cum recuperatory centre: Will specialize in cardiology and oncology; recuperatory centre attached to hospital will be ideal for NRIs and foreigners; facilities like helicopter evacuation, telediagnosis and telemedicine will be on offer.
* Nursing College: Will empower girls to train in a profession that is in demand locally and overseas; the initiative is in response to gender bias that Northern region has for long harboured with families preferring a son to a daughter, accounting for high rates of female foeticide, girl child neglect, dowry and lack of education; the project will provide free nurses training every year to a batch of 600 girls; through strategic tie-ups in Europe and America, they will be suitably placed.
*Research Centre: Cutting-edge research in Thalassemia and Sickle Cell Anaemia will be conducted (Punjab–Chandigarh region has high incidence); centre will engage in seminal research and pioneer new treatment techniques; reliable pre-marital counselling, prevention, treatment and sustenance will be provided.
* Holistic Medicine Research Centre: Medical knowledge in Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Siddha, Yoga, Unani and Naturopathy will be carried out through innovative research, case documentation and standardization of medical practices.
* Multi Speciality Charity Hospital
* Medical College: Will equip students to emerge as fully trained doctors, who provide counselling, combat evils like female foeticide, run IEC campaigns for mass health education and design modules in preventive health.
* Dental Hospital cum College
* Terminal care centre/ hospice: Centre will provide palliative care to terminally ill while offering alternative therapies.
Transparent, inviting public comment/suggestions
While making details available of various stages in the project finalization, Raji P Srivastava, project director, said that various committees have been formed to finalize location, lease details and process of allotment, all of which are shared with the public.
Selection Committee headed by the Adviser will have home secretary and finance secretary viewing live presentations by applicants along with member/s of the public, fulfilling the overarching objective of inclusive development.
Suggesions from the public can be mailed at firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped at the office of the project director by 20September, 2007