Service tax for online train ticket booking waived till 31 December
- Shinzo Abe placed to lead Japan through 2021 after big election win
- Opening bell: Asian markets open higher; Havells India, Hindustan Zinc earnings today
- Reliance Jio’s tariff hike suggests worst may be over for telcos
- Oberoi Realty scales fresh peak despite RERA tremors
- Why Indian markets are lagging behind emerging market peers
New Delhi: Train tickets booked through the IRCTC website will become cheaper from Wednesday till the end of the year as the government has waived service tax to encourage cashless transactions in the wake of the demonetisation exercise.
Service tax will not be levied on tickets booked through the IRCTC website from 23 November to 31 December, said a senior railway ministry official. Rs20 is levied as service tax on Sleeper and Rs40 on AC classes for booking tickets through IRCTC.
Service tax has been waived to incentivise cashless transactions through online booking, the official added.