Service tax for online train ticket booking waived till 31 December
Service tax will not be levied on tickets booked through the IRCTC website from 23 November to 31 December
Latest News »
- Narendra Modi arrives in Washington: Trump administration readies the red carpet
- Cyberattack hits UK Parliament, limiting access to MPs’ emails
- Narendra Modi will convey Indian IT firms’ role in US to Trump: Vishal Sikka
- Gujarat Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela hits out at party leadership
- Yogi Adityanath govt launches ‘informer scheme’ to curb female foeticide
New Delhi: Train tickets booked through the IRCTC website will become cheaper from Wednesday till the end of the year as the government has waived service tax to encourage cashless transactions in the wake of the demonetisation exercise.
Service tax will not be levied on tickets booked through the IRCTC website from 23 November to 31 December, said a senior railway ministry official. Rs20 is levied as service tax on Sleeper and Rs40 on AC classes for booking tickets through IRCTC.
Service tax has been waived to incentivise cashless transactions through online booking, the official added.