Service tax for online train ticket booking waived till 31 December
Latest News »
- McDonald’s terminates franchise agreement with CPRL for 169 restaurants
- China expresses ‘strong dissatisfaction’ with US intellectual property probe
- University of Texas removes Confederate statues
- Tata Motors CEO says to invest Rs4,000 crore to boost car, truck sales
- Trai’s discussion paper on spectrum auction likely this week
New Delhi: Train tickets booked through the IRCTC website will become cheaper from Wednesday till the end of the year as the government has waived service tax to encourage cashless transactions in the wake of the demonetisation exercise.
Service tax will not be levied on tickets booked through the IRCTC website from 23 November to 31 December, said a senior railway ministry official. Rs20 is levied as service tax on Sleeper and Rs40 on AC classes for booking tickets through IRCTC.
Service tax has been waived to incentivise cashless transactions through online booking, the official added.