Mumbai: Over 60 people were rushed to hospital — six of them are in a critical condition — after inhaling chlorine gas leaking from a cylinder near the Bombay Port Trust in Sewri area in the wee hours here today.
Fourteen of those admitted to nearby JJ Hospital are college students, they said.
The condition of six of them including a college student is critical.
“Its a huge cylinder down below various other cylinders (from which the gas is leaking). The cylinder is among various cylinders seized by custom authorities. While removing other cylinders, we are taking care that there is no leakage,” Uday Tatkare, Chief Fire Officer, said.
The gas leakage was reported at 4 am.
“Following the complaint, our men rushed to the spot to plug the leakage. However, four of our men also took ill and have been rushed to nearby hospitals,” Tatkare said.
As a precautionary measure, people residing in and around the area have been evacuated, the official said.
Dean of JJ Hospital P P Lahane said around 60 affected came to the hospital after being exposed to the gas.
While 14 were sent home after examination, 44 are admitted to the hospital.
“Six of them are in a serious condition and have reported burning sensation and respiratory problems. They have been admitted to the ICU,” he said.
A probe is on as to what led to the leakage, the official said.