Donald Trump pushes immigration deal, says ‘last chance’ to pass
Washington: US President Donald Trump is touting his proposal on immigration as it faces an uphill battle in Congress.
In a tweet Tuesday, Trump asserts that Democrats and Republicans must act now to provide legal protections to young “Dreamer” immigrants in the US illegally. He writes: “This will be our last chance, there will never be another opportunity! March 5th.”
Trump was referring to deadline after which he has said a program protecting young immigrants from deportation would end. In fact, a recent court ruling has rendered that deadline meaningless.
The Senate’s Republican and Democratic leaders say it’s going to be tough to broker a successful deal on immigration policy, including $25 billion Trump wants for a border wall with Mexico.
- Coca-Cola India to launch fruit variants of Sprite, Limca
- CLP India eyes Essel Infraprojects’s power transmission business
- Shell may buy majority stake in solar power firm Fourth Partner Energy
- Mahindra-owned SsangYong slips back into losses in 2017
- India’s approach at global climate talks had undergone major change: Erik Solheim