Wimbledon hikes prize money for 2017 season
- PNB fraud, global cues spur Rs10,000 crore FPI sell-off in February
- Mehul Choksi claims innocence in PNB fraud with open letter
- Volkswagen settles US emissions lawsuit just before trial
- India, Pakistan trade fire in Kashmir’s Uri sector along LoC, villagers flee
- Top 10 films which made Sridevi the Bollywood icon she is
London: This year’s Wimbledon singles tennis champions will receive £2.2 million ($2.84 million) each – a hike of £200,000 for both the men’s and women’s winner, organisers said on Wednesday.
Tournament chiefs unveiled the boosted winners cheques among an increased total prize pot of £31.6 million, up from £28.1 million for the previous year.
The bigger pot benefits players throughout the draw, with first round singles losers set to walk away from the All England Club with £35,000.
The grasscourt grand slam tournament takes place on the fringes of south-west London from 3-16 July: the latest start for the tournament since 1895.