Rio Olympics: Mouma Das, Manika Batra bow out in table tennis
- Delhi doesn’t have state-like powers, Centre tells Supreme Court
- Gujarat elections: Congress seals seat-sharing deal with Chhotu Vasava’s party
- Why companies should recruit more women
- Canara Bank gets board approval to sell stakes in AMC, housing finance units
- Banks ask Sebi to clearly define loan default in revised guidelines
Rio de Janeiro: Indian women paddlers Mouma Das and Manika Batra made their exit from the Rio Olympics after losing their preliminary round singles matches to higher-ranked rivals in the table tennis competition on Saturday.
World No. 150 Mouma’s challenge was lukewarm and short-lived as the Indian veteran, in her second Olympics, lost to world No. 58 Daniela Dodean Monteiro of Romania 2-11, 7-11, 7-11, 3-11.
Debutant Manika, on the other hand, put up a good fight before going down to her 60th-ranked Polish rival Katarzyna Franc-Grzybowska 2-4 (12-10 6-11 12-14 11-8 4-11 12-14 in 48 minutes in another preliminary round clash.
In the men’s singles, Sharath Kamal and Soumyajit Ghosh will play their first round matches later in the day.
It is the first time that four Indian paddlers had qualified for the Summer Games.