Rio Olympics: Delhi govt announces an award of Rs1 crore to Sakshi Malik
- Ahead of Gujarat election results, BJP MP predicts dismal performance for party
- California’s wildfire now ranks as state’s third-largest
- As bitcoin, other currencies soar, regulators urge caution
- Metlife says it failed to pay some pensions, flags hit to reserves
- Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurates Eastern India’s first CNG stations
New Delhi: Delhi deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia on Saturday announced an award of Rs1 crore for Olympics bronze medallist Sakshi Malik.
Sisodia visited the parents of the wrestler in Haryana’s Rohtak and announced the award. He also announced a promotion for Sakshi’s father, Sukhbir Malik, who works as a bus conductor in Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC).
On Wednesday, the 23-year-old wrestler ended the country’s wait for a medal at the Rio Olympic Games as she bagged the bronze medal in the 58 kg category, pulling off a dramatic 8-5 victory in the play-off bout.