PV Sindhu wins maiden India Open Super Series title
Latest News »
- Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan expresses concern over deficient rainfall in state
- Quinag Acquisition buys stake in Manappuram Finance for Rs143 crore
- Sorry, but Silicon Valley isn’t special anymore
- Essar Oil CEO resigns as Rosneft rejigs board on $13 billion takeover
- 12-year-old boy dies of dengue, first fatality in Delhi: MCD
New Delhi: Rio Olympics silver medallist PV Sindhu produced a superlative performance to beat reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain 21-19 21-16 to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title, in New Delhi on Sunday.
In front of a partisan home crowd at the Sirifort Sports Complex, the third seeded Indian dominated the match from the start to win the summit clash in 46 minutes.
The win also narrowed down Sindhu’s head-to-head record against the Spaniard to 4-5. Sindhu had last defeated Marin in the BWF Super Series in Dubai last year.
Earlier, Viktor Axelsen of Denmark clinched the men’s singles title beating Chinese Taipei’s Tien Chen Chou in straight games. Third seed Axelsen took just 36 minutes to edge past Chou 21-13 21-10 to claim his maiden India Open title at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.