PV Sindhu wins maiden India Open Super Series title
PV Sindhu produced a superlative performance to beat reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title
Latest News »
- Donald Trump calls Narendra Modi ‘true friend’ as US, India approach talks
- Narendra Modi arrives in Washington: Trump administration readies the red carpet
- Cyberattack hits UK Parliament, limiting access to MPs’ emails
- Narendra Modi will convey Indian IT firms’ role in US to Trump: Vishal Sikka
- Gujarat Congress leader Shankarsinh Vaghela hits out at party leadership
New Delhi: Rio Olympics silver medallist PV Sindhu produced a superlative performance to beat reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain 21-19 21-16 to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title, in New Delhi on Sunday.
In front of a partisan home crowd at the Sirifort Sports Complex, the third seeded Indian dominated the match from the start to win the summit clash in 46 minutes.
The win also narrowed down Sindhu’s head-to-head record against the Spaniard to 4-5. Sindhu had last defeated Marin in the BWF Super Series in Dubai last year.
Earlier, Viktor Axelsen of Denmark clinched the men’s singles title beating Chinese Taipei’s Tien Chen Chou in straight games. Third seed Axelsen took just 36 minutes to edge past Chou 21-13 21-10 to claim his maiden India Open title at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.