All eyes on boards of ICICI Bank and Axis Bank
Two of India’s largest private sector banks, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank, are in the spotlight over the role of their leaders—Chanda Kochhar and Shikha Sharma, respectively
Two of India’s largest private sector banks, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank, are in the spotlight over the role of their leaders. At ICICI Bank, CEO Chanda Kochhar faces allegations of conflict of interest over grant of loans to a corporate group.
At Axis Bank, the board has accepted current CEO Shikha Sharma’s request to cut short her term of three years that begins on 1 June. In both episodes, the role of the board has come to the forefront—in terms of assuaging jittery investors, ensuring the highest standards of corporate governance, and avoiding a possible leadership crisis that may eventually impact performance.
Graphics by Paras Jain/Mint
- Wary of high gas prices, Essar to go slow on plan to build LNG terminals
- Why Infosys has lost its IT bellwether tag
- Jaiprakash Associates lists proposals before SC to settle disputes
- Affle files draft papers for ₹650 crore initial share sale
- Essar Steel bidding: NCLAT may give Arcelor, Numetal more time