Facebook hires former BuzzFeed, Pinterest execs for video content
BuzzFeed Studios former head Matthew Henick will lead Facebook’s global video content strategy and planning
Bengaluru: Facebook Inc. hired the former head of BuzzFeed Studios to lead its global video content and a former Pinterest executive as in charge of its video content platform Facebook Watch, they said in separate social media posts on Monday.
The appointments come after the social media giant expanded video offerings in August last year to compete in the television market.
BuzzFeed Studios former head Matthew Henick will lead Facebook’s global video content strategy and planning, he said in a Facebook post on Monday.
Mike Bidgoli, who worked at image-based searching and sharing website Pinterest for nearly two years, will lead the Facebook Watch product team, he said in a blog post on Medium.
Facebook Watch was made available initially to a limited group in the United States on the company’s mobile app, website and television apps, the company said in August last year.
The programming ranges from professional women’s basketball to a safari show and a parenting program.
The Menlo Park, California-based company faces a crowded video content market, where traditional television networks compete with newer players such as Netflix Inc., Amazon.com Inc.’s Prime Video and Alphabet Inc.’s YouTube alongside Twitter Inc. and Snap Inc.
Facebook had signed deals last year with millennial-focused news and entertainment creators Vox Media, BuzzFeed, ATTN, Group Nine Media and others to make shows for its video service as part of its efforts to buy and license original content.
- Donald Trump says China’s ZTE to pay $1.3 billion fine to re-open
- Small-format stores will drive Future Group’s growth: Kishore Biyani
- In order to grow, we need to get into other markets: Vince Voron
- IHH Healthcare extends revised offer for Fortis to 30 June
- Dhunseri group clears dues of Egypt petchem unit
Editor's Picks »
- With demonetisation and GST, Indian economy gets more formal in 4 years of Modi govt
- Tax reforms in four years of Modi govt: GST makes tax evasion tougher
- Development became vibrant over last 4 years: Narendra Modi
- Arun Jaitley says political debate to focus on Narendra Modi versus ‘anarchist combination’
- The Narendra Modi lexicon, updated list
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars