Uber confidentially files for IPO: Report
Uber’s most recent valuation was $76 billion, and could be worth $120 billion in an IPO
New York/San Francisco: Uber Technologies Inc has filed paperwork for an initial public offering, according to three people with knowledge of the matter, taking a step closer to a key milestone for one of the most closely watched and controversial companies in Silicon Valley.The ride-hailing company filed the confidential paperwork on Thursday, in lock-step with its smaller US rival, Lyft Inc, which also announced on Thursday it had filed for an IPO, setting the stage for one of the biggest technology listings ever.
The simultaneous filings extend the protracted battle between Uber and Lyft, which as fierce competitors have often rolled out identical services and matched each other’s prices.
Uber’s most recent valuation was $76 billion, and could be worth $120 billion in an IPO. Its listing next year would be the largest in what is expected to be a string of public debuts by highly valued Silicon Valley companies, including apartment-renting company Airbnb and workplace messaging firm Slack.
Uber’s debut will be a test of investor tolerance for legal and workplace controversies, which embroiled Uber for most of last year, and on Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi’s progress in turning around the company. Khosrowshahi took over more just than a year ago.
Uber faces a deadline to go public by Sept. 30, and a filing this week suggests the debut will come earlier than that.
IPOs from Uber and Lyft will test public market investor appetitive for the ride-hailing business, which has proved wildly popular but also unprofitable.
Uber in the third quarter lost $1 billion and is struggling with slowing growth, although its gross bookings, at $12.7 billion, reflect the company’s enormous scale.
The Wall Street Journal reported the filing earlier on Friday.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)
- Huawei executive gets bail in case rattling China ties
- Singapore’s Blue Planet acquires Mumbai-based waste processor Yasasu
- Dr Reddy’s will have to wait to sell suboxone copy
- In pics: Isha Ambani-Anand Piramal wedding today, Antilla ready to welcome guests
- IndiGo New Year sale: Flight tickets from Rs 3,299 on overseas routes
Editor's Picks »
- India needs to have a good oil hedging policy: Raghuram Rajan
- Sugar output may drop next year as drought cuts cane planting
- Will focus on banking sector immediately: New RBI chief
- NRC: SC extends date for filing inclusion claims to 31 December
- Huawei CFO gets bail, Trump says he may intervene in US case against Chinese executive
- Escorts: Japanese joint venture to hone growth in tractors
- HCL Tech’s acquisition of IBM products raises more questions than answers
- Investors ignore NMDC’s price cuts, and worry about its Donimalai iron ore mine instead
- Steel stocks get winter chill as China demand issues resurface
- Why Uday Kotak’s defiance is scaring his bank’s investors