Blackstone appoints real estate head Jon Gray as president, COO
Current Blackstone president and COO, Tony James, will transition to executive vice chairman, said alternative asset manager in a statement on Tuesday
New York: Blackstone Group LP named Jon Gray as president and chief operating officer of the alternative asset manager.
Tony James, who has been president and COO, will transition to executive vice chairman, a full-time role, according to a statement on Tuesday from New York-based Blackstone. Gray and James will report to chief executive officer Steve Schwarzman.
“I have had a wonderful 15 years at Blackstone so far and still savor every minute of it,” James said in the statement. “One of my most important responsibilities is succession, and I am blessed to have a spectacular leader and investor like Jon Gray to whom I can hand the reins.”
Gray, 48, joined Blackstone in 1992 straight out of college. The real estate business he oversees is the firm’s largest by assets and accounted for about half of Blackstone’s pretax profit last year.
“I’ve learned over the last 26 years that Jon Gray has great judgment, enormous energy and unique personal charisma, which has enabled him to garner enormous respect within the global financial community,” said Schwarzman, Blackstone’s billionaire co-founder. “The appointment of Jon as president and COO lays the foundation for the next generation of senior management and positions the firm well for future leadership.”
Blackstone named Ken Caplan and Kathleen McCarthy as global co-heads of real estate, succeeding Gray. Bloomberg
- Q2 results: HDFC Bank net profit rises 20.6% to Rs 5006 crore
- Govt, board eye asset sales to turn IL&FS around in six months
- Jet Airways sets jet sale, leaseback plan in motion to raise $800 mn
- Lenders accept ArcelorMittal resolution plan for Essar Steel
- #MeToo: Publicis India sacks executive creative director Ishrath Nawaz
Editor's Picks »
- India to put former top climate change official Rajendra Pachauri on trial for sexual harassment
- Rahul Gandhi hits out at KCR, claims Telangana reeling under debt
- Deve Gowda-Siddaramaiah display rare bonhomie ahead of Karnataka by-polls
- Govt allocates Rs 144 crore to AYUSH ministry for alternative medicines
- Esperanto, A language whose time never came
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed