ICICI Bank’s Q3 net profit dives 32% to Rs1,650 crore on higher provisions
ICICI Bank reported net profit of Rs1,650 crore for the three months to 31 December against Rs2,442 crore in the same period a year earlier
Mumbai: ICICI Bank Ltd on Wednesday reported a 32.42% fall in fiscal third-quarter profit as the bank set aside more money to cover the risk of default on bad loans.
Net profit fell to Rs1,650.24 crore in the quarter ended 31 December from Rs2,441.82 crore a year ago. According to 26 Bloomberg analyst estimates, the bank was expected to post a net profit of Rs1,902.50 crore.
Provisions and contingencies rose 31.59% to Rs3,569.56 crore from Rs2,712.70 crore a year ago. On a quarter-on-quarter, they fell 20.73% from Rs 4,502.93 crore.
Gross non-performing assets (NPAs) rose 20.88% to Rs46,038.70 crore at the end of the December quarter from Rs38.084.97 crore in the same quarter last year.
As on 31 December, ICICI Bank had outstanding loans of Rs10,060.75 crore to 18 account holders against which insolvency proceedings have been initiated; of that, 98.6% amounting to Rs9,915.06 crore has been advanced to accounts classified as NPA. The bank has made provisions of Rs3,662.59 crore against these outstanding loans.
Gross NPA additions declined 37.76% to Rs 4,380 crore. Recoveries and upgrades from NPAs were at Rs1,108 crore.
As a percentage of total loans, gross NPAs stood at 7.82%, compared to 7.87% in the previous quarter and 7.2% in the year-ago quarter. Net NPAs were at 4.2% in the December quarter compared to 4.43% in the previous quarter and 3.96% in the same quarter last year.
Net interest income (NII) or the core income a bank earns by giving loans was up 6.38% to Rs5,705.27 crore from Rs5,363.35 crore last year. Non-interest income fell 19.59% to Rs3,166.87 crore from Rs3938.31 crore a year ago. Advances rose 8.86% from a year ago to Rs 5.05 trillion. Deposits climbed 5.58% to Rs 5.17 trillion.
ICICI Bank shares closed at Rs 353.45 on the BSE, up 0.24% from the previous close, while the benchmark Sensex index fell 0.19% to 35,965.02 points.
- Alyque Padamsee, advertising veteran, dead at 87
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX to put 12,000 satellites in orbit
- Petrol, diesel prices continue declining trend. 5 things to know
- Facebook woes sap $17.4 billion of Mark Zuckerberg’s wealth this year
- 3-year bank FDs: SBI, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank interest rates compared
Editor's Picks »
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India