Idea Cellular posts 3rd straight quarterly loss amid Reliance Jio price war
Idea Cellular made a net loss of Rs815 crore for the three months to 30 June, compared with a profit of Rs220 crore a year earlier
Bengaluru: Idea Cellular Ltd, India’s No. 3 telecoms firm, reported a third straight quarterly loss on Thursday, reeling in the wake of a price war wrought by new entrant to the sector, Reliance Jio.
It made a net loss of Rs815 crore ($127.13 million) for the three months to 30 June, compared with a profit of Rs220 crore a year earlier. Income fell by about 14% to Rs8,182 crore.
Analysts on average estimated a loss of Rs671 crore, Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S data showed.
Reliance Industries, led by India’s wealthiest man Mukesh Ambani, entered India’s telecoms industry last year, spending more than $30 billion on Jio and upending the sector with cheap smartphones and data plans.Reuters
Editor's Picks »
- NCLT allows extension of the deadline to evaluate bidders of Mandhana Industries
- Smart Cities Mission is too project-based and lacks integrated vision: Report
- West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee cancels China visit
- Chai Point expects aggressive growth in its vending machines business
- Symphony to buy out Climate Technologies