Jeff Bezos’s net worth tops $105 billion as Amazon climbs in new year
Jeff Bezos’s net worth reached $105.1 billion Monday as Amazon shares added to a 12-month surge that’s lifted the online shopping giant’s market value by almost 57%
New York: Jeff Bezos’s net worth reached $105.1 billion Monday on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index as Amazon.com Inc. shares added to a 12-month surge that’s lifted the online shopping giant’s market value by almost 57%.
Amazon shares have risen 6.6% this year, with a report showing the Seattle-based company captured 89% of online spending among dominant holiday retailers in the five-week period beginning the day after Thanksgiving in the US.
The latest jump has pushed Bezos’s fortune definitively above the high reached by Microsoft Corp.’s Bill Gates in 1999. The Amazon founder passed Gates in October with a net worth of $93.8 billion and his fortune crossed $100 billion for the first time a month later when the holiday shopping season kicked off on Black Friday.
Gates, 62, would have a net worth of more than $150 billion if he’d held onto assets that he’s given away, largely to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. He has given away almost 700 million Microsoft shares and $2.9 billion of cash and other assets since 1996, according to an analysis of his publicly disclosed giving.
Bezos also controls closely held space exploration business Blue Origin and the Washington Post. Bloomberg
- Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas Chanda Kochhar report ICICI Bank
- Heritage hotels are the way ahead: Taj CEO Puneet Chhatwal
- Cube Wealth founder Satyen Kothari’s reverse pitch for startups: Solve a problem, be unique
- Kraft Heinz agrees to sell Complan to Zydus Wellness
- Artha Venture Fund planning a startup accelerator programme
Editor's Picks »
- Hindustan Zinc dividend payout offsets dull Q2 results
- Q2 results no blockbuster for Inox Leisure as margins disappoint
- NBFC scare shaves 8.5% of IndusInd Bank share price
- Q2 results portent a dull Diwali for paint stocks investors
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end