Donald Trump endorses call for Harley-Davidson boycott
Donald Trump has taken it personally since Harley-Davidson decided to move some production out of the US due to EU tariffs
Washington: US President Donald Trump endorsed calls Sunday for a boycott of tariff-hit Harley-Davidson Inc. over its plans to move production of its iconic American motorcycles out of the country. “Many @harleydavidson owners plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas. Great!” Trump tweeted. “Most other companies are coming in our direction, including Harley competitors. A really bad move!”
Many @harleydavidson owners plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas. Great! Most other companies are coming in our direction, including Harley competitors. A really bad move! U.S. will soon have a level playing field, or better.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 12, 2018
Trump has taken it personally since Wisconsin-based manufacturer—once a presidential favourite—announced on Monday it is moving some production out of the US. Harley-Davidson was targeted with EU tariffs after Trump imposed stiff duties on European steel and aluminum.
An array of US companies have complained they are being hurt by the administration’s tariff policies.
But Trump has treated the issue as a loyalty test.
“I’ve done so much for you, and then this,” Trump tweeted earlier this week. “Other companies are coming back where they belong! We won’t forget, and neither will your customers or your now very HAPPY competitors!”
Last year, Harley-Davidson announced it would build a plant in Thailand after Trump pulled out of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal, which would have abolished tariffs on their motorcycles across 40 percent of the world’s economy.
The company has repeatedly described the Thailand factory, along with other overseas production, as vital to its long-term need to boost foreign markets to make up for sluggish sales in the US.
In January, Harley-Davidson announced it would close its Kansas City, Missouri assembly plant and consolidate jobs in York, Pennsylvania.
“A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never!” Trump said earlier on Twitter.
- Facebook investors want Mark Zuckerberg to step down as chairman
- Government wants more data from Facebook
- Adman Alyque Padamsee, creator of Surf’s Lalitaji, Liril girl and Hamara Bajaj, dead at 87
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX to put 12,000 satellites in orbit
- Petrol, diesel prices continue declining trend. 5 things to know
Editor's Picks »
- Future Retail’s Q2 result shows improvement in same-store sales
- Private insurance firms grow at the expense of LIC stuck with a sick bank
- Page Industries’s lofty valuations get a reality check in Q2
- Q2 results: Grasim’s Vodafone Idea stake is proving costly
- How Vodafone Idea’s $3.5 bn fundraising will impact telecom in India