Fuel prices rise once again today, petrol crosses Rs 90 mark in Maharashtra town
Petrol price has crossed the Rs 90 mark in Parbhani, located about 500 km away from Mumbai. Maharashtra is among those states where taxes on fuels are the highest.
New Delhi: As fuel prices continued to rise today to record high levels, petrol prices breached the Rs 90 mark in a small Maharashtra town where the price could be the highest in India. A litre of petrol costs Rs 90.02 in Parbhani, which is located about 500 km away from Mumbai, due to higher local taxes and transportation cost.
Maharashtra is among those states where petrol, diesel prices are the highest in India. A litre of petrol now costs Rs 88.26 in Mumbai while diesel is worth Rs 77.47.
In Delhi, petrol costs Rs 80.87 and diesel Rs 72.97. In Bengaluru, petrol price is Rs 83.51 and diesel is Rs 75.32. In Hyderabad, petrol costs Rs 85.75 and diesel Rs 79.37. In Chennai, petrol costs Rs 84.05 and diesel Rs 77.13. In Kolkata, petrol costs Rs 83.75 and diesel Rs 75.82.
Rates vary from city to city depending on local sales tax or VAT and transportation cost.
As the Centre has made it clear that it will not cut down excise duty, two states have done their bit by reducing state taxes. Petrol and diesel are lower by Rs 2.5 in Rajasthan and by Rs 2 in Andhra Pradesh.
With fuel prices affecting the prices of essential commodities, Congress had led protests across India and even observed a Bharat Bandh yesterday which received mixed response in several states.
To combat soaring fuel prices, Congress and other opposition parties are demanding that the central government must reduce excise duty on petrol and diesel and bring it under the framework of GST to ensure that fuel prices are uniform across India. Since mid-August, petrol price has risen by over Rs 3.5 a litre and diesel by about Rs 4 per litre as rupee hit record low against the US dollar, making imports costlier. Global crude oil prices also continue to be under pressure.
- Tesla to cut workforce by 7%, sees smaller profit in Q4
- Wipro spins out govt business as separate segment
- Vibrant Gujarat meet: Ambani, Adani, Birla, others line up big investments
- Wipro announces 1:3 bonus; Q3 net profit rises 30%
- RIL to invest Rs 3 lakh crore in Gujarat in next 10 years : Mukesh Ambani
Editor's Picks »
- 2nd Trump-Kim summit to take place at end of February
- To boost confidence in oil cut, OPEC issues quota list
- China said to offer path to end US trade imbalance
- BlackRock, Goldman said to move some fund managers to US if no-deal Brexit
- RBI governor Shaktikanta Das sees inflation assessment as a challenge
- What to expect from Q3 results of IndiGo, SpiceJet, Jet Airways
- Forget privatisation, govt has hugged its banks tighter
- Flat profit, rising debt are growing worries for Reliance
- Q3 results: HUL growth off a high base shows it’s on a roll
- DCB Bank Q3 results: Small loans give big pain as farm, mortgages lift delinquencies