Jeff Bezos loses $5.3 billion, Warren Buffett $3.5 billion after markets rout
Swooning markets on Thursday cost the world’s 500 richest people $93 billion in net worth, and 20 of them lost at least $1 billion each
New York: Swooning markets Thursday cost the world’s 500 richest people $93 billion in net worth, and 20 of them lost at least $1 billion each.
Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, saw his fortune drop by $5.3 billion to $113.2 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, as his Amazon.com Inc. tumbled 4.7% on the day. Berkshire Hathaway Inc. chairman Warren Buffett ’s wealth dropped $3.5 billion and Facebook Inc.’s Mark Zuckerberg lost $3.4 billion.
Elon Musk came back to Earth, dropping $1.1 billion in net worth after his Space Exploration Technologies Corp. successfully launched a Tesla Inc. sports car on a journey around the sun. Shares of Tesla, which he also leads, plunged 8.6%.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index both tumbled to their lowest levels since November as fears of rising interest rates and inflation intensified. Bloomberg
Editor's Picks »
- Hindustan Zinc dividend payout offsets dull Q2 results
- Q2 results no blockbuster for Inox Leisure as margins disappoint
- NBFC scare shaves 8.5% of IndusInd Bank share price
- Q2 results portent a dull Diwali for paint stocks investors
- Reliance Jio seen overtaking Vodafone Idea, Airtel to become India’s largest telecom firm by 2018-end