Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 whisky sold for $1.1 million at Bonhams auction
A private collector from Asia bought over the phone a 60-year-old The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926, auctioneer Bonhams says
Edinburgh: One of the world’s most sought-after whiskies, a 60-year old The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926, was auctioned for a record £848,750 ($1.1 million) on Wednesday. The buyer was a private collector from Asia who bid by phone, auctioneer Bonhams said. The firm sold one of 12 other bottles with a label by the Italian artist Adami in May this year for £814,091.
Such whiskies are collectors’ items because of their rarity and will probably not actually be drunk, said Martin Green, whisky specialist at the auctioneer. “It’s the Rolls Royce of malts,” he said.
“Obviously we don’t know what will happen to it, but anyone who can spend around a million pounds for a bottle of whisky could afford to drink it. But it’s an object of beauty in its own right—almost a museum piece.”
Just 24 bottles of the whisky, bottled in 1986, were produced by Macallan, among the best-known Speyside distillers of Scotland’s flagship product.
It commissioned Adami and Peter Blake, known for co-designing the album sleeve for The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, to each design labels for 12 bottles.
It is not known how many of Adami’s still exist. One is said to have been destroyed in an earthquake in Japan in 2011, and it is believed that at least one of them has been opened and drunk.
- Porsche IPO could value carmaker as high as $81 billion, CFO says
- Netflix earnings will test waters for tech giants after sell-off
- SoftBank’s Masayoshi Son, Saudi’s prince and a $22 billion test
- Sajjan Jindal keen to buy out stressed hydroelectric plants
- Beat the queue at airports, railway stations by being honest in paying income tax
- Delhi’s air quality set to worsen as stubble burning intensifies
- Rahul Gandhi, Amit Shah step up poll campaigns in Madhya Pradesh
- Ahead of 2019 polls, AAP chief Kejriwal launches nationwide crowdfunding drive
- Ahead of Sabarimala temple’s opening, BJP holds protests against women’s entry
- Opinion | Once more unto the breach, dear friends
- Banks turned wary of NBFCs months before IL&FS defaults
- HUL Q2: Rising input costs face off against healthy demand growth
- Q2 results: DMart finally set to face a reality check
- Temporary staffing: Decent employee additions, margin pressures may sustain
- Gujarat relief for Tata Power, Adani Power underlines sector’s harsh reality