Start-up success: Does the city matter?
- JD (S) releases 3D game to shed anti-urban image
- Steve Smith admit ball tampering in 3rd test against South Africa
- Students march across US demanding stricter gun laws after mass shootings
- IIM-Ahmedabad raises PG management program fee to Rs22 lakh
- RLD, Nishad Party expel MLAs for cross-voting in Rajya Sabha elections in UP
Mumbai-based companies had the highest success rate in terms of raising a follow-on round or providing an exit to its existing investor. Mumbai start-ups also showed a healthy mix of sectors being funded—be it B2C, B2B, enterprise software, financial technology, etc.
Mumbai companies which raised follow-on funding include Ola, Goqii (wearables), Mswipe (payments) and PrettySecrets (Innerwear). Mumbai companies that shut down include Purple Squirrel, Fetise (apparel) and LocalBanya (hyperlocal).
All of these companies have been angel funded in the past. The study, conducted by Venture Intelligence, included companies that raised angel investments in the 2010-2014 period across Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and National Capital Region.