Mint Quiz1 min read . Updated: 17 Nov 2007, 12:30 AM IST
Companies/brands named after abbreviations
1. This Bangalore-based company specializes in digital signal processing systems. Its name is an abbreviation of a philosophical statement made by a French philosopher in his 1637 work Discourse on method. Which statement? Which company?
Ittiam, abbreviated form of I think therefore I am, which was stated by Rene Descartes.
2. This brand name is used by the company French Connection. It originated when a fax was sent from French Connection Hong Kong to French Connection UK, and an employee noticed an abbreviation on the letterhead. The company went on to use this abbreviation as a rather controversial brand name. Which brand?
Fcuk. Abbreviated form of French Connection UK.
3. This company is one of the big four accounting firms. It gets its name from the initials of the four partners in the firms that merged to form it. The last of the mergers was in 1987. Which company?
KPMG. Surnames of the partners of constituent firms — Klynveld, Peat, Marwick and Goerdeler.
4. This company is named after its founder, who built a wood-and-fabric plane and became the first person to build and fly an aircraft between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains. In 1924, he formed the Travel Air Manufacturing Co., Inc., a biplane manufacturing firm. In 1927, he left Travel Air to form a company named after himself. Which company?
5. This aircraft is named after a Belarusian Soviet aircraft constructor and designer who became the head of the department of design at TsAGI (Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute) at Zhukovsky in 1938. Which aircraft?
6. Identify this craft which has been in the news in the last couple of years.
7. Who designed this IRCTC-SBI railway credit card
8. Under what brand, launched in 2003, does Indian Railways market bottled water?
9. Which historical railway station, one of the busiest in India, was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 2004?
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, formerly Victoria Terminus.