Additional coal secretary Suresh Kumar appointed CIL CMD
At Coal India Ltd Suresh Kumar replaces Gopal Singh, who was brought in from Central Coalfields, a subsidiary
Kolkata: The union coal ministry has appointed additional coal secretary Suresh Kumar chairman and managing director of Coal India Ltd (CIL). Kumar has taken charge with effect from Monday, the state-owned miner announced in a regulatory filing.
CIL has not had a full-time chairman and managing director for the past eight months since Sutirtha Bhattacharya retired in August.
Kumar replaces Gopal Singh, who was brought in from Central Coalfields Ltd, a subsidiary where he was the chairman.
A CIL official who asked not to be named said the government had been trying to find someone suitable for the job for almost a year. Singh was initially appointed for a six-month term, which was later extended, he added.
Editor's Picks »
- Continuing volume momentum puts Indian ports in a good position
- Why did BJP lose Assembly Elections 2018? Retail inflation has answers
- Rural focus drives Hero MotoCorp, but inherent risks linger
- ‘Talk to me’, says RBI governor Shaktikanta Das in relief to markets
- Escorts: Japanese joint venture to hone growth in tractors