Alibaba’s delivery arm Cainiao to develop one million smart vans
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba’s delivery arm Cainiao Network has announced $ 7.3 billion investment to produce one million smart vans in partnership with domestic automakers
- Appellate tribunal admits lenders’ plea over surrender of Jaypee land
- ONGC Videsh FY18 profit up 29% on higher oil production
- Embassy group diversifies into mid-income housing business
- GAIL India chairman backs unbundling of firm’s operations, but only after gas market matures
- Jet Airways sees weak Gulf business, stressed yields in near future
Beijing: Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba’s delivery arm Cainiao Network has announced $ 7.3 billion investment to produce one million smart vans in partnership with domestic automakers for efficient delivery.
Cainiao said a computing system, powered by the Internet, will analyse real-time orders and design the most efficient routes for its delivery fleet. The move will cut cost and reduce energy consumption. In two cities where the plan was piloted in April, vans travelled 30% shorter distances and saved 20% of the operational costs.
Partnering automakers include SAIC Motor, Dongfeng Motor, Reach Rental. Cainiao also announced financial support of $7.3 billion for logistics firms and delivery drivers participating in the plan. Cainiao is China’s logistics firm that processes packages and parcels ordered through Alibaba’s e-commerce platforms. PTI