Snoopy, Teletubbies under same roof as DHX Media buys Iconix unit
DHX Media is buying the entertainment unit of Iconix Brand Group Inc. for $345 million, adding the Peanutscomic strip to its roster of brands
Bengaluru: DHX Media Ltd is buying the entertainment unit of Iconix Brand Group Inc. for $345 million, adding the Peanuts comic strip and cartoon character Strawberry Shortcake to its roster of brands that includes Bob the Builder and Teletubbies.
Reuters reported in January that Iconix was exploring a sale of its majority stake in Peanuts Worldwide LLC, which owns the rights to cartoon strip characters Snoopy and Charlie Brown.
Debt-ridden Iconix started exploring a sale of the brand after US insurer MetLife Inc dropped the Peanuts characters it had been using as mascots for more than 30 years.
The characters—which also include Lucy, Linus and Woodstock, were created by Charles Schulz and are licensed in over 100 countries.
DHX Media will be buying an 80% stake in the Peanuts brand. The remaining 20% will continue to be held by members of the family of Schulz, DHX said on Wednesday.
While MetLife stopped flying blimps featuring Snoopy this year, Peanuts has agreements with brands such as stationery company Hallmark Cards Inc., retailer Zara, theme park Universal Studios Japan and film studio Warner Bros, according to a filing by Iconix.
In 2015, Twenty-First Century Fox Inc. released The Peanuts Movie, which was nominated for a Golden Globe award and grossed $246 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo, a website that tracks the revenue that movies generate.
Iconix was also looking to sell its Strawberry Shortcake brand, which is based on a character that rose to fame in the 1980s as a doll for young girls, Reuters reported in January.
Strawberry Shortcake, bought by Iconix in 2015, has over 350 licenses, while its app has more than 86 million downloads on Apple Inc’s app store and about three million daily users.
DHX had entered into a long-term agreement last year to co-develop and co-produce a new animated series based on Strawberry Shortcake.
Wednesday’s deal value will be financed through a combination of cash on hand, new debt financing facility and a private placement offering of subscription receipts exchangeable for convertible debentures, DHX said.
DHX Media said the deal would be 6 per cent to 10% accretive to earnings per share, on a pro forma basis.
The company said it also expects to realize annual cost synergies of C$5 million ($3.65 million) within the first year post-closing and C$25 million within the first five years. Reuters
Editor's Picks »
- Motherson Sumi continues to face margin pressure in foreign markets
- What the Warren Buffett indicator tells us about market valuations today
- Jet Airways lands with a thud in Q4 as fuel costs increase
- IBC amendments: Some dilutions, and a lot more speed
- Patanjali’s gambit is paying off in toothpaste wars