Walmart India names Future Consumer’s Devendra Chawla as new COO
Devendra Chawla’s appointment as Walmart India COO is in sync with the company’s plans to set up 50 new wholesale stores in India over the next 3-4 years
New Delhi: Walmart India has roped in former CEO of Future Consumer Devendra Chawla as its chief operating officer, according to a person familiar with the development.
Chawla, who had last week quit from Future Consumer—a part of Kishore Biyani-led Future Group, will join as COO of merchandising, marketing and omnichannel function at Walmart India. He will report to Walmart India CEO Krish Iyer.
“This appointment is in sync with company’s plans to set up 50 new stores across India over the next three to four years,” the person said.
Walmart India spokesperson did not comment when contacted. A formal announcement of Chawla’s appointment is expected soon.
Walmart India owns and operates 21 best price modern wholesale stores in nine states across India. The company is seeking to leverage on Chawla’s expertise in food retail as it looks to scale up its retailer development model ‘Mera Kirana Programme’ to enable small kiranas serve their customers better, another person with knowledge of the matter said.
Chawla had joined Future Group in January 2009 as the CEO for its private brands business. He had previously worked at Reliance Retail Ltd, Coca-Cola and Asian Paints.
Editor's Picks »
- Infosys says increased visa application rejections could result in delays, higher project costs
- Marooned and musty in Kolkata
- All peril, no play: notes from a rain-hater
- GST rates cut: From refrigerator to washing machine, 88 items to get cheaper
- 3 terrorists killed in encounter in Jammu & Kashmir’s Kulgam district
- What ABB India’s performance in June quarter says about capex growth
- Bajaj Finance does well in Q1 even as competition hots up
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: The perils of being priced to perfection
- Higher cane price crushes hopes of sugar mills
- Market optimism before 2019 general election: History may not repeat itself