There are more working women than working men in this Indian state
The tiny northeastern state of Mizoram, which follows a matrilineal social system, has the highest percentage of female workforce in India at 59% while insurgency-hit Jammu & Kashmir has the worst representation from women at 7.9%
New Delhi: An average woman in small tribal states like Mizoram, Nagaland and Chhattisgarh is more likely to be working then a woman living in urban areas like Delhi. According to the latest data released by the Union ministry of labour and employment, women of Mizoram constitute about 59% of the state’s workforce while in Delhi the figure is 11.7%.
The northeastern state of Mizoram, which follows a matrilineal social system, has the highest share of women in the workforce in India. Conflict-ridden Jammu & Kashmir has the lowest -- in worker population ratio, women constitute only 7.9%.
Besides Mizoram, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh also have over 50% women in their workforce.
According to the results of labour force surveys conducted by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO), the worker population ratio for females aged 15 years and above was 25.8% in 2015-16.
Also read: Why Indian women don’t want to work
Besides Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and the union territory of Chandigarh are also at the bottom of the list with less 10% contribution of women in the workforce. Delhi (11.7%), Uttar Pradesh (12%) and Himachal Pradesh (15.15) also fare poorly.
Here is a complete list showing female employment rates in all states and union territories of India:
Arunachal Pradesh: 51.6%
Andhra Pradesh: 47%
Tamil Nadu: 39.3%
Andaman and Nicobar Islands: 25.1%
West Bengal: 20.5%
Madhya Pradesh: 17.2%
Dadra & Nagar Haveli: 16.1%
Daman & Diu: 15.2%
Himachal Pradesh: 15.1%
Uttar Pradesh: 12%
Jammu & Kashmir: 7.9%
- Jet Airways to make part payment of September salary to senior staffers on October 25
- Q2 results: HDFC Bank net profit rises 20.6% to Rs 5006 crore
- Govt, board eye asset sales to turn IL&FS around in six months
- Jet Airways sets jet sale, leaseback plan in motion to raise $800 mn
- Lenders accept ArcelorMittal resolution plan for Essar Steel
Editor's Picks »
- North-east monsoon set to make its onset around 26 October: IMD
- Audi’s electric SUV faces 4-week delay because of software bug
- Five of top-10 Indian firms add ₹31,381 crore in m-cap, ITC tops the chart
- September GST returns filing date extended by 5 days to 25 October
- Saudi crisis shows Wall Street struggle between ethics and cash
- Policy rethink and higher volumes to aid container shippers
- DCB Bank delivers a strong Q2 but pressure on margins foreseen
- Havells India: Rising costs give a jolt to profitability in September quarter
- All’s well at Mindtree, except for high client concentration risk
- India’s rising steel demand is making companies starry-eyed