1 min read.Updated: 01 Sep 2016, 12:06 PM ISTLivemint
Reliance Jio, the telecom unit of Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries, formally announced the start of services across India on Thursday
Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd, the telecom unit of billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries Ltd, formally announced the start of services across India on Thursday. Here are the highlights of the new service:
1. Reliance Jio services will be formally launched on 5 September while the commercial launch take till 31 December.
2. Jio will charge ₹ 25-50/GB, 5-10 times lower than currently available rates.
3. 4G LTE smartphones will be sold starting from ₹ 2,999 and Jio-Fi for ₹ 1,999
4. Tariff plans starting from ₹ 19 for the occasional data user, to a monthly ₹ 149 plan for the light data user.
5. Jio voice calls, across India, will not be charged under any plan.
6. Instant eKYC digital activations using Aadhaar at home as well as in the stores.
7. Jio plans apps around education, rural, health and agriculture.
8. All services will be free for users from 5 September to 31 December.