Tests conducted in UP showed samples contained 17.2 parts per million (ppm) of lead, many times the allowable limits which range between 0.01 and 2.5 ppm
According to an Associated Press report, “tests—performed by food safety authorities in Uttar Pradesh—showed that samples contained 17.2 parts per million (ppm) of lead, many times the allowable limits which range between 0.01 and 2.5 ppm."
Mint contacted the National Referral Centre for Lead Poisoning in India, based in Bengaluru, to ascertain the effects on children, especially those who are six years and younger.
While ingesting lead is damaging for adults and children alike, exposure to lead is particularly harmful for children, as they are more susceptible to absorbing and retaining lead content. The poisoning can affect the growth of bones, muscles and brain.
Effects of lead poisoning in children
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) based in the US states that a blood lead level of 0.05 ppm (5 μg/dL) or above is a cause for concern in children.
Even at low levels, lead can cause harm and is associated with:
• Learning disabilities
• Attention deficit disorder
• Speech and language impairment
• Decreased muscle growth
• Decreased bone growth
• Kidney damage
High levels of lead are life threatening and can cause seizures, unconsciousness, and death.
Effects of lead poisoning in adults
The CDC, for adults, has designated a blood lead level of more than 0.1 ppm (10μg/dL) as a cause for concern. High levels of lead can cause:
• Increased chance of illness during pregnancy
• Harm to a fetus, including brain damage or death
• Fertility problems in both men and women
• High blood pressure
• Digestive issues
• Nerve disorders
• Memory and concentration problems
• Muscle and joint pain
Subscribe to Mint Newsletters
* Enter a valid email
* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint.
our App Now!!