Ten Bollywood actors who have appeared in Hollywood movies
- Pawel Pawlikowski wins best director at Cannes for ‘Cold War’
- Inspired by Hollywood, Bollywood extends advance release date period
- ‘Deadpool 2’ competes with mid-sized Bollywood movies
- ‘Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain’ review: Harish Vyas’ Varanasi-set film only skims the surface of its subject
- Deadpool 2 review: Riotous fun but fails to put the ‘F’ in family
New Delhi: The presence of actor Deepika Padukone in this week’s American action flick xXx: Return of Xander Cage makes the film eagerly awaited, particularly in India. Padukone, however, is not the first A-list Bollywood name to have crossed shores. While Priyanka Chopra will be seen in action comedy Baywatch later this year, here are 10 other Indian actors who have appeared in Hollywood movies.
1. Irrfan Khan: The critically acclaimed actor has worked in several international films including Life of Pi, New York, I Love You, The Amazing Spider-Man and Jurassic World. In 2016, he featured in mystery thriller Inferno alongside Tom Hanks.
2. Anil Kapoor: The actor who shot to international fame with Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire (2009) played the villain in Tom Cruise’s action flick Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol (2011). The latter made $694 million worldwide.
3. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: Her British film outings aside, Bachchan was seen in Hollywood projects like The Last Legion (2007) and The Pink Panther 2 (2009). The two films made box office collections of $25 million and $75 million worldwide, respectively.
4. Amitabh Bachchan: Bachchan was seen in the 2013 romantic drama The Great Gatsby alongside Leonardo Di Caprio. The film based on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s 1925 novel of the same name was directed by Baz Luhrmann and earned $351 million worldwide.
5. Om Puri: The veteran actor who passed away recently was one of the select few of his generation to cross over. He had a cameo in Richard Attenborough’s cult classic Gandhi (1982) and appeared in films like City of Joy (1992), Wolf (1994), The Ghost and the Darkness (1996), War (2007) and most recently, The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014) with Helen Mirren.
6. Anupam Kher: The character actor, known for his comic and negative roles in India, has appeared in English language films like Silver Linings Playbook (2012), starring Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, and Gerard Butler’s drama The Headhunter’s Calling (2016), among others. He has also been part of British productions like Bend It Like Beckham (2002) and Bride and Prejudice (2004).
7. Naseeruddin Shah: Shah has featured in adventure film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) alongside Sean Connery and comedy drama indie The Great New Wonderful (2005). The two films made $179 million and $172,000 at the box office, respectively.
8. Tabu: The critically acclaimed actor who has dabbled with multiple languages within India played the lead role in Mira Nair’s Indian-American drama The Namesake (2006) which earned $20 million worldwide. She also appeared in Ang Lee’s survival drama Life of Pi (2012) that earned $609 million at the box office.
9. Amrish Puri: The noted character actor was part of Steven Spielberg’s 1984 action adventure film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the second instalment of the Indiana Jones franchise. It made $333 million in box office collections.
10. Shabana Azmi: The veteran actor has played pivotal roles in international projects including Son of the Pink Panther (1993), disaster drama Waterborne (2005) and political thriller The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2012), among others.
All figures in the story have been sourced from movie website Box Office Mojo