Tamil film ‘Visaranai’ is India’s official Oscars 2017 entry
- Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Review: Light and comfortable, but a bit pricey
- Deals Buzz: Motherson Sumi plans 3 acquisitions in next six months
- Venkaiah Naidu rejects impeachment notice against chief justice Dipak Misra
- Indian economy and the threat to the current account deficit
- Google isn’t relying on failed AI to fix Android messaging
New Delhi: National Award-winning Tamil film Visaranai is India’s official entry in the foreign language film category at the Oscars next year.
“Visaranai was selected out of the 29 films that were in the race,” Film Federation of India secretary general Supran Sen told PTI. The crime-thriller, produced by actor-filmmaker Dhanush, is written and directed by Vetrimaaran.
It is based on the novel “Lock Up” by M. Chandrakumar. Featuring Dinesh Ravi, Anandhi and Aadukalam Murugadoss in the lead roles, the film deals with police brutality, corruption, and loss of innocence in the face of injustice. Read more .
“Visaaranai #Anbum #amaithiyum malarathum (’Let love and peace bloom’),” Dinesh tweeted in Tamil. The movie won three honours—Best Feature Film in Tamil, Best Supporting Actor for Samuthirakani and Best Editing for Kishore Te—at the 63rd National Film Awards, held earlier this year.
The film premiered in the Orrizonti (Horizons) section of the 72nd Venice Film Festival, where it won the Amnesty International Italia Award.