Bangkok’s Gaggan dominates Asia’s 50 best restaurants for third year in a row
Bangkok: It’s a hat-trick for Bangkok’s Gaggan: The Indian restaurant in Thailand topped the closely watched list of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants for the third straight year.
Chef Gaggan Anand opened his eponymous restaurant in the Thai capital in 2010. He first won the top spot in 2015, two years after the crowd behind the 50 Best franchise debuted the Asian version of the rankings.
“The first time I thought I was lucky, but last year I really worked hard, and here I am now today,” he said soon after finding out the results. “The only thing I wanted was to create that unique experience for every customer in 2016.”
This year, Singapore had three restaurants in the top 10, more than any other city, led by Restaurant Andre, which nudged up one notch to second place.
The annual list is compiled based on votes of 300 food writers, critics, chefs and others, who are asked about their best restaurant experience, according to William Reed Business Media, which also publishes the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list.
The top 10:
• Gaggan, Thailand
• Restaurant Andre, Singapore
• Amber, Hong Kong
• 8-1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong
• Nahm, Thailand
• Narisawa, Japan
• Nihonryori Ryugin, Japan
• Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, China
• Odette, Singapore
• Burnt Ends, Singapore
Editor's Picks »
- Amazon’s All-new Echo Plus packs a punch for casual music lovers
- Love reading, so which Kindle e-reader is the right fit for you?
- Walmart upbeat on outlook as sales global growth continues
- ITC eyes Rs1 trillion turnover from FMCG, plans to expand food portfolio
- US markets hit by weak earnings, Brexit concerns